Il gruppo pacifista israeliano Gush Shalom ha spedito una lettera a tutte le ambasciate europee in Israele chiedendo un intervento immediato per fermare il bagno di sangue palestinese a Gaza. Il testo sarà pubblicato su Haaretz e sull’International Herald Tribune.
WE, Israeli patriots and peace activists, call upon the European Union and its member states, possibly in conjunction with other countries, to intervene immediately and effectively in the looming Israel-Palestinian crisis, and, especially to –
1. APPOINT a representative of ministerial rank to Israel/Palestine to monitor unfolding events and advise the European Union on immediate steps the situation may demand.
2. STOP the severe sanctions imposed by Europe on the Palestinian Authority as a penalty for exercising their democratic right and electing a government of their choice. This by itself is a brutal intervention on behalf of the occupation.
3. ENGAGE both the Government of Israel and the elected Palestinian president and government in a serious dialogue, with the view of putting an end to the present crisis and paving the way for meaningful peace negotiations.
4. EXTEND the European Union Border Assistance Mission, already successfully operating at the Rafah border crossing, to all border crossings between Israel and the Gaza Strip, in order to ensure the regular flow of foodstuffs, medicines and other goods in both directions, irrespective of political and military developments.
5. ACT as a permanent mediator for acute crises, such as the case of the Israeli prisoner-of-war, Gilad Shalit.
6. OFFER both sides to station a permanent European peace-keeping force between the Gaza Strip and Israel.
7. CONSIDER the convening of an international conference for ending the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
EUROPE CANNOT AFFORD TO REMAIN SILENT!